Welcome to Central City Community Health Center where our mission is to provide quality patient centered health care to low-income, undeserved individuals. With 15 direct clinic locations in Los Angeles, North Orange County and the Inland Empire, as well as outpatient support to almost 700 private Residential Care facilities, our core value of exceeding patient relationships in a culturally sensitive manner translate into an environment where the welfare of our patients always comes first. We seek the best trained clinical and professional staff and strive to provide care in a culturally sensitive manner.
To support our mission we have an immediate need for Medical Records Clerk
In this critical role you will be responsible for the following key tasks:
Under the immediate supervision of the Clinic Lead, maintains patient files and statistics; responds to requests for medical records; performs clerical duties. Ensures compliance with all federal and state rules, regulations, and standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains patient files and retrieves files for scheduled appointments; files patient charts; files all patient data, progress notes and reports upon receipt of information; initiates records for new patients and creates computer index; prepares file labels; maintains filing statistics; audits filing sequence.
- Responds to requests for medical records; processes letters and reports; answers and directs telephone calls.
- Retrieves patient schedules from computer system; distributes lab and radiographic reports to physicians, and to other departments/clinics; requests information from various departments/clinics; responds to correspondence requests.
- Assists in compiling data and information for reports required by external agencies and regulatory authorities.
- May photocopy records and documents for billing and/or legal services; sends and receives information via facsimile machine.
- Handle protected health information in a manner consistent with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). The Medical Records Clerk will have access to protected health information during the course of his/her work activities. The Medical Records Clerk will use this information to communicate medically necessary information to other health care providers to facilitate care for the patient. Applying the minimum necessary standard for HIPAA, the employee will have access to the full medical record, the practice management system, and the chronic disease registry system.
- Keeps supervisor informed of problems or issues; monitors supplies needed; performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Knowledge of modern office equipment including fax, copier, multi-line phone system, etc.
- Interpersonal/human relations skills
- Organizational skills
- Telephone etiquette skills
- Ability to maintain records and files in alphabetic/numeric sequence
- Ability to operate personal computer and utilize Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to exert physical effort maintaining and distributing files
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Education and experience equivalent to:
High school diploma or GED; general medical office experience; two (2) years of medical records experience preferred.
Prior experience working with undeserved populations preferred
We offer a dynamic work environment with competitive salaries and benefits. Central City provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Central City complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Job Type: Full-time
Normal office environment with:
- Occasional walking, reaching with hands and arms, stooping and kneeling
- Ability to handle multiple tasks while also being tactful, diplomatic, and empathetic.
- Ability to organize and schedule work effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with staff, managers and other levels of personnel, in person and on the telephone.
To Apply - Follow instructions below and visit our Application Upload Center.